The Emerald Valley Quilters (EVQ) Community Service Committee coordinates the making and donating of quilts, teddy bears & totes for children in need to various agencies & organizations in Lane County which work with “at risk” children & adults. In 2018, we delivered 264 quilts, 405 teddy bears & 133 totes to 12 of these organizations. We provide kits for quilts & teddy bears & accept donations of competed quilt tops & quilt, teddy bears, fabric & poly fil stuffing at Guild meetings. You can even win a prize for your donations!
EVQ Community Service Committee:
Marilyn Collis, Sherry Galloway, Diane Jeffcott, Pamela Reim
If you would like to make a quilt for EVQ community service, two of our favorite patterns are attached below
In this section you can find:
Pattern to make EVQ Fringed Nanju Bears
- Information about our monthly Teddy Bear Picnic, at which we make teddy bears for various organizations.Also you can find a downloadable instruction sheet for sewing the bears.
- A list of organizations & their purpose to which EVQ Community Service donates quilts, bears & tote bags.
- Downloadable copyright free patterns for making comfort quilts in various sizes.
- Information about how you can contribute to the EVQ Community Service efforts.
For 12 years, EVQ has partnered with Cascade Manor to sew 10 inch teddy bears; almost 11,000 bears (Yes, 11.000!) have been completed in that time. EVQ members are encouraged to participate by coming to our “Teddy Bear Picnic” held the 2nd Saturday of each month from 9:30 am- 11:30 am at Cascade Manor, 65 West 30th Avenue, Eugene (near Market of Choice on South Willamette). Refreshments are graciously served by Cascade Manor. Thanks always for your contribution of time & materials. EVQ members can also pick up kits fo bears that are ready to sew together at monthly Guild meetings. Instructions are included.
Teddy Bear Picnic at Cascade Manor, with a mornings production of teddy bears & some helpers!
Organizations to which EVQ donates quilts, teddy bears & totes
Bags of Love: provides necessities and comfort items to children who are in crisis due to neglect, abuse, poverty or homelessness; a quilt & stuffed animal goes in each bag. EVQ donated123 quilts & 90 teddy bears this past year.
Comforts for Children: provides “at risk” children with the gift of a small quilt; over 33,000 quilts have been distributed as of March 2019. EVQ donated 96 quilts in the last year.
Kids First: provides services to the Lane County Multidisciplinary Child Abuse Intervention Team (MDT) members. Those services include interviews with child abuse victims and support at court hearings. EVQ teddy bears are often given to the abuse victims to help them cope with their situation. EVQ donated 190 bears in the past year.
Womenspace: provides services to support survivors-adults & children-in their efforts to find safety and heal from the trauma of intimate partner violence; services include emergency shelter & housing at their Safehouse, & Crisis and Support Services Center. EVQ donated 23 quilts in past year.
Jasper Mountain/SCAR: Jasper Mountain provides a continuum of programs that meets the needs of emotionally disturbed children and their families. EVQ donates 50-75 teddy bears yearly.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: provides small quilts for premature & fragile infants at the NICU in Sacred Heart -Riverbend Hospital. EVQ CS donated 27 quilts last year; other EVQ members also make kits & quilts through the NICU quilting effort.
Family Support Network: works with children, youth & families that have complex challenges due to mental or behavioral health issues or other special health needs. EVQ donates teddy bears as needed.\
ShelterCare: ShelterCare was organized in 1970 to serve homeless families, providing services & transitional housing. EVQ donates teddy bears as needed.
Relief Nursery: prevents the cycle of child abuse and neglect through early intervention that focuses on building successful and resilient children, strengthening parents, and preserving families. EVQ donated teddy bears as requested.
Lane County Sheriff’s Department: EVQ provides teddy bears to assist officers helping with traumatic situations.
Springfield Police Dept.: EVQ provides teddy bears to assist officers helping with traumatic situations.
Eugene Mission: provides services & housing to homeless adults, families & children. EVQ donates twin size quilts as available.
Catholic Services: provides a safety-net of services, offering immediate assistance with food, clothing, and energy & housing assistance. EVQ donated 133 tote bags this past year.
If you know of an organization in Lane County that provides services to children at risk & could be helped by our quilts or teddy bears, please contact one of the EVQ Community Service Committee members with the name of the organization & a contact.
How you can contribute to the EVQ Community Service efforts:
- Make comfort quilts according the EVQ guidelines which are available on this website or you can pick up a guide sheet at Guild meetings. Severalcopyright free patterns are also available through this website or at Guild meetings. The most requested size is about 42” x 54”, but we also donate up to twin size quilts.
- Pick up a Community Service Quilt Kit at guild meetings; these kits contain a simple pattern, material already cut into strips &/or pieces for blocks, borders & binding. Batting is also available.
- As we often get quilt tops not yet quilted, we appreciate offers to quilt these tops by longarm or domestic machine. Contact any Community Service committee member or stop by our table at Guild meetings.
- Pick up kits for teddy bears to be partially sewn before stuffing.
- Attend a Teddy Bear Picnic on a Saturday morning to create finished teddy bears.
- Donate good quality all cotton fabric for quilts & teddy bears; bright colors & kid prints are especially welcome.
- Donate Poly-Fil brand stuffing for teddy bears. We cannot use batting scraps for stuffing bears.
- Donate duck, canvas or lightweight upholstery fabric to tote bags.
- Participate in the February Community Service Night Guild meeting where we make teddy bears & bind quilts.
- Assist with the Build-a-Block efforts at the EVQ biennial quilt show; help is always needed with preparation, staffing the booth & completion of blocks & quilts afterwards.
Saturday June 10th 2017 EVQ along with Cascade Manor celebrated stuffing 10,000 bears watch this video here http://www.kezi.com/clip/13403454/video-teddy-bear-project.